Saturday 2 February 2013

Some New Skincare

As a beauty product addict, it is safe to say that I have tried every spot busting, radiance enhancing, 'miracle product' out there. Jazzy labels that tap into your emotions and promise to solve it all, often results in impulse purchases and disappointment down the line.
 
My skin really isn't perfect and leaves a lot to be desired. Dry patches that turn into an oily, shiny face, redness and pigmentation or just those annoying spots under the surface, I've got it all! A few years ago I finally decided to really research and get to the bottom of my skin problems and learnt some useful tips.
 
It is clear that my skin is Dry/Combination and quite a Sensitive soul. It is very quick to flare up in annoyance to a looming spot, which results in a fair bit of swelling and redness. The vicious circle has began, and I have to do everything in my power to leave it be...no picking or squeezing! This is where some products come in handy. After a fair bit of research a few years ago, I decided to take things back to basics and looked for very natural products with soothing properties. At the time, I had been using a Clarins toner for Dry/Sensitive skin (I would have thought this to be fine), however its chemical ingredients completely stripped my skin of its natural oils and resulted in a humungous breakout. £20something pounds down, and covered in angry spots, I learnt that natural oils are good! I am sure for less sensitive skin, this product may work a treat, however it taught me a big lesson about the importance of natural ingredients. I follow a cleanse, tone and moisturise routine and so decided to get Liz Earle Hot Cloth Cleanser, Origins Dr Weil Mega Mushroom Toner and Neals Yard Frankincense Hydrating Moisturiser.
 
For the past two years, I have happily stuck to this routine. However, the January blues have hit my purse strings hard and conveniently the toner and cleanser ran out! So I decided to research some more budget friendly skincare solutions.
 
The benefits of plain old soap have been known for years (our vintage heroes would have always used it!), however I have always steered well clear due to the fact that normal soap makes my skin feel incredibly dry and tight. A little bit of research revealed a Korres soap that is made up of Chamomile and Almond Oil. Chamomile has been used for hundreds of years for its soothing benefits, and Almond Oil is highly recommended by Liz Earle herself for its enriching benefits. I picked it up in Waitrose for £5 and absolutely love the results! One wash removes every single trace of makeup and even my MAC Pro Longwear eyeliner! I am not left with that tight feeling at all, so very impressed!
 
 
 
As for Toner, I have really taken it back to basics. My previous toner was around £22, and I have found one for £1.50! It is very simple...just plain old Witch Hazel! You want to buy it in its purest form, just in a glass bottle over the counter at Boots, Superdrug etc. I know that my Nan absolutely swears by Witch Hazel, as you can use it on anything at all! It can be gargled, clear infections, applied to bruising... the list goes on! It has fantastic healing properties and can reduce pores. A simple wipe over my skin with this after cleansing is refreshing and instantly soothes my skin. I also don't stop stroking my face afterwards as it feels incredibly smooth!
 
 
 
Only time can tell whether this will work, but I will keep you updated. I also would love to try some Cold Cream, so that is on my shopping list. I have decided to make the most of my Saturday off work, and turn today into Skincare Saturday! I will be posting on Twitter and Facebook throughout the day with some skincare tips and would love to hear any of yours!
 
Have a great weekend,
 
Hannah xxx

3 comments:

  1. Hi Han,
    Sounds like my skin too! Do you know of anywhere else you can get the soap? I would like to try it but we don't have a Waitrose :-(
    Hope you are well, me + Moll are fab just fed up of winter now lol!
    Marisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello lovely!
    I know you can get it from lookfantastic.com or amazon. If you google korres chamomile soap, loads of links come up! I am really pleased with it and also the Witch Hazel has dramatically improved my skin overnight. Woohoo!!
    I am great thank you. Aw bless you both! Its nearly over! I think you may be receiving a visitor soon in the shape of my mother, she gets her car in 6 weeks!
    Hannah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fantastic!!! can't wait to finally meet her!, I will certainly try the soap out and let me know how you get on with the moisturiser, I use johnson's baby moisturiser at the moment everything else is too heavy. Moll say's hi, the cheeky monkey nicked my glove out of my pocket tonight and i only just caught a finger to pull it out!
      speak soon,
      Marisa xx

      Delete

I would love to know what you think! I will try to answer any questions as soon as possible. Hannah x