Sunday 16 February 2014

Noras Novelty Print

Over Christmas I spent time much like the rest of us; too much wine, lots of food and plenty of TV. One evening my family and I visited my cousins house, where I was lucky enough to have a wine fuelled evening of bingo and talking all things fifties. My cousins live with their Nanna, Nora, who is my Uncles Wife's Mother- get it?! In the Fifties she was a hairdressers apprentice in seaside town Southport, near to where I grew up.

Unfortunately I don't see my family as often as I would like due to living at the other end of the country, so when the Lancashire lot get together there is a lot of catching up to be done! It was so wonderful to hear her stories of growing up in that time. Nowadays, Southport has turned into a slightly run down seaside town but in its day it was a true resort. Even Louis-NapolĂ©on Bonaparte lived there before returning to France to become their Emperor. During his reign in France, he caused much of the medieval centre of Paris to be replaced with broad tree-lined boulevards, covered walkways and arcades, just like Lord Street in Southport.

Southport



The next day I woke up to a parcel at the door from Nora. I opened it to discover the most beautiful late 1940's/early 1950's novelty print fabric and a card from her...

"Dear Hannah, 

Loved talking to you last night, made me think of my younger days, then I remembered my yard of material which I saved up for, for weeks when I was an apprentice hairdresser in Southport for 10 Shillings a week (50p now). I think you will recognise the name. I would love you to have it as a reminder of late 40's and 50's fashion.

Love, Nora"




I was so touched to receive this wonderful, thoughtful gift. To think that she has held on to it for such a long time to reminisce back to her younger days is so sweet, and I intend to frame it to preserve it as well as possible. This has really kick started my obsession with Novelty Print since Christmas. I would love to find out anything else about the fabric, if anyone know of a good source please let me know!

Hannah xxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think! I will try to answer any questions as soon as possible. Hannah x