Wednesday 17 October 2012

Days I'll Remember All My Life

Hello everyone!

Another wet and windy but busy week again here in Brighton. We seem to have had lots of things on this month, can't complain, I love having plans to look forward to!

Both myself and the boyfriend are big fans of sixties music, and a favourite of ours are The Kinks. Joe's parents surprised him with some gig tickets for his birthday...they were only Ray Davies! It was at the Brighton Dome, and so last night was my first venture there. What a lovely venue. A very grand entrance, in true Brighton style, leads through to a large bar area. We got a drink and then took our seats, we were quite near the front in what is a pretty intimate venue.

The support act was James Walbourne, a singer songwriter. It was clear that a lot of his influence came from America, as there was a definite country sound with rock/folk influences too. I think my favourite was Cocaine Eyes.

Then on came Ray! He began with some of the more slower Kinks songs, mixed in with a few of his more recent ones. We all had a good sing a long to one of my favourites, Sunny Afternoon, and then the set really got going when during Victoria, on came the band and we starting rocking. I don't think I stopped singing for the whole duration! He finished with All of the Day and All of the Night which was absolutely brilliant, everyone was dancing in the aisles! We then cheered him back on for an encore of Days and finally Lola.

I was really interested to hear his point of view as he reflected back over the years of his rise to fame. He has a famously tempestuous relationship with his brother, however spoke with great sentiment and love for him and sang a song was written for Dave Davies. He also told us how his sister left school at 14 and went straight to work in a sewing factory. How things have changed! An extract of his autobiography, Xray, was read out which revealed his views on society and where he feels his part to play in it is. I am quite tempted to give that one a read!

I got myself all done up again (what else?!) with a little roll in my fringe and a headscarf to hide my quickly appearing roots (hurry up 26th October!). I wore a Kate Moss for Topshop tea dress, a staple piece in my wardrobe for years now that was a great little sale purchase. As I embed the vintage feel into more areas of my life, I am hoping to follow this through with more vintage dresses! Just need that salary to accomodate that now...!

Were any of you there last night or have you seen Ray before?! I would love to hear your opinion!

Lots of love,



Hannah xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think! I will try to answer any questions as soon as possible. Hannah x