Wednesday 5 December 2012

Day Five- Its A Swing Thing!

Good evening everyone!

So every Wednesday back our sofas get pushed back and table dragged out of the way, as it is Lindy Hop practice night! For the past 3 Thursdays, we have been learning to Lindy Hop with the lovely and helpful Graeme and Amanda. This is their website! We found the class advertised on the Evolution Arts website, which you can see here.



I have always been a massive Strictly Come Dancing fan, being completely mesmerised by the Jive and Charleston. The Lindy Hop originated in the 30's and the dancing isn't just the fun bit, the music that goes alongside it is fantastic as well, with artists such as Billie Holiday and Nina Simone. The steps so far are easy enough to follow, but I like to practice to make sure that I remember what I'm doing! I do hope to continue with dancing once our classes are over. It is great exercise, a real laugh and an excuse to have a dance and sing on a weeknight!

Not only has the music inspired me massively, but the thirties and forties swing clothing is amazing! Look at these amazing trousers from Vivien of Holloway! (yes please Father Christmas!). I recently bought a dark grey wool pair that are similar from Beyond Retro in Brighton as they were rather a bargain at £22, however they are slightly too short so I resorted to flashing some ankle in them! This style trouser looks very comfortable, as though they would flatter the hips and waist and give a more unusual vintage style for everyday outfits! Teamed with brougues,a cardigan, blouse or even just a plain top, they would be a great retro look and maybe I could burst into dance to complete the image!


Another excellent website to visit for a similar style is Freddies of Pinewood. They sell 40s and 50s style clothes, for both men and women. Their website is great and very helpful regarding sizes for their items which fit a little differently to those on the high street. They also do jeans in a similar style to the trousers above. I would love to try some of these, they may solve my war against skinny jeans!

I am really loving this style clothing at the moment. The cold weather is just so unbearable even in thick tights, I feel the need to wear trousers for a change! If any readers want any information on Lindy Hopping and how to begin learning, or if you are an experienced Lindy Hopper, please don't hesitate to contact me! I would love to hear from you! Maybe one time I will be brave enough to actually go to a Swing night and dance properly...

I will have to get practising!

With love from Brighton,

Hannah xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to know what you think! I will try to answer any questions as soon as possible. Hannah x